Home

6.3.12

Hazelnut Butter




Again, something that started in Germany. This was two years ago, when I came across a little thing called Creme de Noix. This is a walnut butter made in France and to this point, I haven't been able to find it yet. It was so deliciously nutty. Not too sweet, just right. I used to spread this over bread and I swear that I probably didn't need anything else for breakfast. Now that I think of it, I may just switch to a diet based on this alone.

So I decided to experiment with nut butters on my own. Using water, using oil, sugar or Splenda. But I think I hit the nut butter jackpot with this one.

My first tip would be NOT to use water. I know it may be the healthier choice here, but water will only hold for a while. If you keep it in the fridge or after maybe 15 min, the butter won't hold. It will be grainy, and fall apart. Not my idea of nice.

Splenda? Sure. Splenda would be nice, but I find that using cane sugar gives it an extra crunch that I appreciated.

Also, I have tried already chopped nuts and I have tried roasting the nuts. If you roast them before, there will be more nut flavor, and if you don't, perhaps it will be a nicer looking color.

What is seriously nice is adding Nutella to this. What I do is combine both of these in a peanut butter jelly sandwich of sorts. Yum.

Hazelnut Butter


16oz (454g) Large Hazelnuts
3 tablespoons of cane sugar (or to taste, I used 5 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon walnut oil


Preheat your oven to 400F (about 200C). Spread the hazelnuts in a baking sheet and roast for about 10 min or until fragrant.

Crush the hazelnut crust (this takes a while! And since we didn't have a nutcracker, my boyfriend used a hammer!) and put warm hazelnuts in the food processor. Blend and slowly add the sugar to taste. Add the oil and blend until desired consistency is reached. I like mine to be almost runny so it can be easily spread on a regular white bread. If you like it a bit more grainy, only add 1/2 teaspoon (or none at all!).





Adapted from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment