Home

17.12.11

Post Secret

When I was in college, I discovered Post Secret through a friend. It was back then when the books came out and we would go to the now defunct Borders store, sit on the floor, peruse the books and spend hours and hours commenting on the books... until the manager kicked us out. Good times.

I recently re-discovered my love of Post Secret, and every Sunday I go and see the secrets as part of a ritual with my boyfriend. It's interesting to see what other people keep hidden for most of their lives and how liberating it must be to finally get it out there.

When the Post Secret App came out, I was super excited. I have mixed feelings about the app because of the people in it. It is a community of people sharing their secrets, and it is an opportunity for others to say "Hey, me too!" and find comfort in not being the only weirdo out there with the same secret. Sometimes, people are mean in their replies. If you have an opinion which is not accepted by most, people will unleash hell. Sometimes it serves to comfort and heal. I have seen a lot of secrets in this app that have touched my heart (I know, corny): moms trying to be tough for their 2 year olds battling with leukemia, wives and families losing a dad while fighting for freedom, people struggling with suicide, cute puppies sleeping. Smiles, tears, and lots of emotion-ridden secrets are found.

I sometimes save them for future reference or to show my friends. I find it interesting how it has evolved from the original idea of sending self-made postcards containing that which has weighted heavy on the heart of a stranger to this community of support (or lack thereof). If you can afford it, I say go for it. It is a wonderful experience. I look at the secrets before falling asleep and it helps me sleep knowing that I am not alone in this world. If you can't, then visit the website. You won't regret it.

Here are some of those secrets I have saved:





Here's the app's trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment