Home

9.2.13

Internal Medicine : Morning Reports

My life these days in the Internal Medicine rotation has been quite the roller coaster. I have come to realize that this was not the moment I should have picked to make my lifestyle changes to finally go ahead and try to control the diabetic I am doomed to become. I recently re-started doing Pilates in an effort to not only fulfill my New Year's resolution (the first one I have done in YEARS), but to control my hormones, etc. and hopefully get at least a core (because I'm convinced I lack one). So in order to do this, I have started with a personal trainer and he made me a training schedule that I am supposed to follow. Ok, I started this in december, but went to Germany, got sick, stopped and ate every yummy marzipan anything that crossed my path. Back then I was only able to do this once a day, if at all, and now since I have to wake up at 5 am to get to the Morning Report at 7 am (more on that later), I figured I might as well start with my Pilates at said ungodly hour.

As you can clearly see here, I am even failing at SLEEP
So far, the day I started doing this, I got sick with the cold. I am secretly thinking that it may be my body actually trying to sabotage my workout and thus confirming my suspicions that I am really allergic to exercise. So, that was that. But then to get myself more motivated, I got me a yoga mat, some workout clothes and thus forced myself to do this because now I have to so I tell myself this was not money gone to waste. 

One thing that I found though is that Pilates gave me so much more energy. I know, I know, you are reading this and rolling your eyes, big shocker, I know. But for me it was shocking because for the first time I was experiencing it. See, I have never been a sporty girl. I abhor sports, and anything that requires sweating. Ugh, Puerto Rico makes it impossible. I swear, the humidity here makes exercise twice as hard. So me doing sports, regularly, and finding out the things that everybody who has done exercise before, like endorphins and whatnot, was a revelation. Not only that, but doing these exercises in the morning has given me a sense of accomplishment and something to cross off a to-do list (which my inner OCD person loves), and also it has given me energy for what I came here to talk about: Morning Reports and my loathing of them. 

Mr.J calls Morning Reports "Mission Control", and it is at its core, what it should be like. But it's not. It may be my hospital... actually, it is my hospital. Here, they do things differently. Instead of reporting patients and what happened overnight, and discussing conditions and treatment, they do questions from a question bank to prepare the residents for their test, making our time there completely and utterly IRRELEVANT.  I don't know what we're doing there at 7 am. I can even hear the Sassy Gay Friend (youtube it) telling me : "What, what, WHAT are you doing?". What am I doing there? No idea. Right now I have taken this time to study for my tests and catch up on Twitter or Pinterest or God-knows-what. And I may not even care anymore because now I am high on endorphins at this hour. 
Mission Control

Being here in rotations in third year of medical school is fun though, it gives you a preview of what you'll be doing when you grow up. You don't actually do any of it, but at least it's better than sitting around in a classroom and seeing patients, talking to them, reminds you why you got into this in the first place. You forget why you got up at 5 am and why when you were driving to the hospital it was still dark outside. 




The perks of getting the cold, getting asthma. Plus side, cool mask. 


No comments:

Post a Comment