Home

22.9.12

Pecan Pie Bars


I like Pecan Pie everything, and I decided this time to try Pecan Pie Bars for the first time, I mean, it's a no-brainer if you like Pecan Pies. This is using a shortbread crust, maybe I will switch it up next time for something else. I don't know why but maybe the butter I used was the light version and it was more like a cracker. Also, what I like about Pecan Pie is the filling and here it's distributed in a 13 x 9 pan so that means less filling per bite. It was kinda sad, but at the same time it was not so heavy on the sugar. My parents really liked it. Next time I think I will double on the filling portions because I want a more "pie" feel to it. They were good though! A couple of notes though, get a good vanilla. All I had at my parent's place was this vanilla from Costco and it's kinda alcohol-y and I prefer the vanilla from the Dominican Republic. I need MOAR! Use real butter, don't be like me, and I ran out of butter for the filling so I used a vegetable spread and I think that altered the taste too. I may be nitpicking though. 


Crust: 
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling: 
2 cups pecans
3 eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of melted butter
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt 

Preheat: 350F
Grease: 13 x 9 inch pan 
Crust: With pastry cutter or a fork, cut butter, sugar, flour, salt and vanilla extract until crumbly and pea sized pieces. Press into baking pan and bake for 15 min until light brown.
Filling: Whisk corn syrup, sugar, salt and vanilla extract until combined. Add the eggs and the melted butter and mix thoroughly. Finally stir in the pecans and pour evenly over the crust after it has cooled for a few minutes. 
Bake: 30 to 40 min until set. 
Allow to cool completely (or don’t, like I did and ate like half of it still warm!), cut into bars and gobble. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment