Home

29.2.12

Bailey's French Toast Souffle



So, I wanted to jump right in and start to learn how to cook already (I mean, I'm 25... I think this might be a tad overdue!) and since I love to eat (a bit too much, perhaps!) why not?

One thing was certain, I was addicted to sugar and thus the only thing that I am slightly capable of doing is baking. I can't cook rice to save my life nor can I do anything complicated. My usual dishes have one basic thing in common: pasta. That's the other thing I can make and not be terribly bad.

And so, here it is: something sweet and simple. I just made this for me and my gorgeous boyfriend who is visiting me at the moment.


Bailey's French Toast Souffle 
Makes 2 servings

4 slices of white bread (I guess you can use french bread and it will be even better, but white bread was all I had available at the moment)
2 eggs
1/2 cup (118 mL) milk (I used low fat milk)
1/2 cup (118 mL) heavy cream (OR if you're cutting back on calories, you can substitute this for fat free evaporated milk)
1/4 cup (59 mL) Bailey's Liquor
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar (I used the Splenda blend, also good to cut back on calories)
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon  (or, go crazy with it)
1/4 cup (59mL) of maple syrup (and more of it for serving)
Powdered sugar (to taste and for garnish)

In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, Bailey's, brown sugar, cinnamon and maple syrup. Cut slices of white bread into small cubes and add to the bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes until the bread has soaked up the mixture.

Use butter or cooking spray on ramekins (trust me, you do NOT want to skip this step. You'll thank me later) and then pour the bread in the ramekins. REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT.

In the morning (or whenever), bake at 375F (190C) for approximately 30 min (or until the souffle rises and you feel the crust to be a bit crunchy or the edges to be golden brown). Sprinkle powdered sugar and serve.

Enjoy.

:)



*heavily adapted from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment