Home

16.5.12

Sugar-free Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have had these cookies on my mind since last week. I have been craving soft and chewy cookies because here, all you can find are the crunchy ones. I hate them. Also, making these cookies has satisfied my other craving: cookie dough. Who cares about salmonella? Ok, maybe I should.

These cookies are soft and chewy and they will probably break apart when you pick them up, which is just how I like them. The secret here is marzipan (or almond paste). Here is where they are not completely sugar-free, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

They don't have an overwhelming almond taste but if you want that, you can add some drops of almond extract. If you want, you can also add some chopped almonds. I wanted chocolate chips, not the crunch from almonds so I didn't add that either.

Another thing that I like about these cookies : portion control. I can't help myself when I'm around cookies. I want to eat them all in one day. I probably could. I adapted the recipe from here. I love her website because she scales down everything. Now if I could only find the recipe for ONE red velvet cupcake, I would be happy. :) 

Anyways, I hope you like these as much as I did. PS, these pictures are not so bad considering they came from my iPhone! yay!

"Sugar-Free" Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies 

Makes 1 dozen cookies

4 tablespoons unsalted butter (preferably at room temperature so they are easier to cream)
2 tablespoons shortening (I used the low fat, butter flavored version)
1/4 cup "brown sugar" xylitol  (I used Ideal® No Calorie Brown Sweetener) 
2 tbsp Splenda® Sugar Blend 
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg yolk
1 oz marzipan (or almond paste)  
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp flour 
1/3 cup sugar-free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375F

In a small bowl, cream the butter, shortening, "brown sugar"and Splenda. I used a hand mixer. Add the egg yolk and the vanilla and keep mixing. Cut the marzipan in small pieces and blend with the mix. I had to use a fork to completely blend it in, otherwise using the hand mixer, small balls of marzipan remained. 

In another bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder and baking soda and slowly add this mixture in to the creamed butter blend. I divided it in 3 parts and added one part, mixed added the other one until it was well combined. 

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and make small balls of cookie dough. Resist the urge to eat it! I didn't. My stomach will probably pay for it later. Put them on the cookie sheet, leaving about 1 inch space between each cookie dough ball. Bake for about 8 min and remove from oven. The cookies will not be completely done when you take them out, but leave them in the hot cookie sheet so they continue to bake there in their own heat until cool. 

OMG... these are so good. I will go eat another one now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment